NOTE: If you receive a security warning, the “active content” used in this file enables the internet and document hyperlinks. To allow this, click the security banner (if present) and click “allow blocked content.”
Military AI Works RWAI A-10C Update Package
For FS 2004 / FS9
Project Manager: Edith Black
This freeware AI package, produced by Military AI Works contains updated model versions of the RWAI A-10 which was originally released in 2006. This update brings this AI model up to the current “C” model standard being fielded by most USAF A-10 units today. This package contains twenty-two new A-10C model variations, two new A-10C main textures, two additional new generic textures that are required for each model and a comprehensive research document detailing which USAF units are currently using the A-10C model. Please note that this package is not a traditional MAIW type package as it does NOT contain any flight plans or AFD files. This package is simply meant to allow you to update your current MAIW packages that feature the RWAI A-10A, with the new A-10C versions at your convenience.
The new models feature:
-New weapons loadouts including either the Sniper or Litening Targeting pods based on recent real world photographs of actual A-10C’s
-Additional LOD1 details including new antennas, stall strips, missile warning sensors, etc.
-Updated texture mapping to the main model to correct several small texturing issues from the original model
-Fixed nose gear retraction/extension sequence
-Updated pilot mask to model the new MBU-20P being worn by many pilots
-Two special Air Force Test A-10C models.
In addition, this package features and extensively researched document that provides updated serial numbers, aircraft markings and model status of nearly all the A-10s currently in service.
(use hyperlinks to navigate)
1. About MAIW
Military AI Works (MAIW) is a loosely affiliated, international group of flightsim enthusiasts who share the common goal of seeing realistic military AI traffic in MS Flightsim. Our goals:
1) Produce only high-quality, freeware packages and products
2) Create military AI traffic accurately within the bounds of MS Flightsim
3) Promote new freeware military AI models, scenery and products
4) Advance military AI modeling of countries around the globe
5) Respect the rights of designers and contributors
To learn more about MAIW or to become a contributor, visit our website at http://www.militaryaiworks.com.
A-10C serial number research document:
The new models feature precision guided munitions, flare dispensers, CATM training missiles, training bombs as well as advanced targeting pods and other fun stuff. The images below show each different model variation along with the corresponding model’s folder name. If you see a model folder name that ends in either “L” or “S” this indicates which targeting pod that aircraft model is carrying (S=Sniper, L=Litening). There are loadouts for long distance flights, war time loadouts that are currently being used in Afghanistan, loadouts that are used during Red Flag training exercises, training loadouts used by units while training at their home bases and loadouts used by the test units and the Weapons School aircraft based at Eglin AFB and Nellis AFB.
Step 1) Install this package
1) Install the package in accordance with the on-screen prompts. The installer will add the folder “MAIW_RWAI_A-10C” to your Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft folder. Once added to your Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft folder, the models are ready to use.
1a) Inside this “MAIW_RWAI_A-10C” folder you will find the following contents:
-22 new A-10C model folders
-2 new aircraft texture folders “texture.ET_79-0177” and ” texture.ET_81-0989”
-a single “dummy” Aircraft.cfg file
-Package Readme Document
2) In order to make use of the new variations you need to copy your RWAI A-10 [fltsim.xx] entries from your original RWAI A-10 aircraft folder’s Aircraft.cfg file to the new Aircraft.cfg file that is supplied inside the “MAIW_RWAI_A-10C” folder. The reason for this is because the new model variations use slightly adjusted navigation light settings which are updated in this new Aircraft.cfg file. The alternative is to simply copy the [Lights] section settings from this new Aircraft.cfg file to your current RWAI A-10 Aircraft.cfg file. Either way will work.
3) The new A-10C aircraft folder contains two new texture folders that are meant to be used with the two Eglin AFB A-10C test models. These two special models have a large test probe attached to their noses for collecting test data. Inside of these two texture folders are the main aircraft textures for each model along with a light map texture which gives the model its night time highlights. Most importantly included in both of these new texture folders are two new textures that must be used with each A-10C model. In total, for an RWAI A-10C model, there will be four individual texture files that required for each aircraft.
4) The updated model variations use the same textures originally created for the A-10A models including the night time light map texture. In order to make use of the new model variations with the original textures you must copy the two new texture files, “RWAI_canopy_clear.bmp” and “RWAI_A10C_Weapons.bmp” into each individual texture folder for each AI aircraft you wish to use with the A-10C model loadouts. Failure to do so will result in untextured weapons and a miss colored canopy.
Problem: The loadouts carried by the aircraft are not textured.
Fix: Make sure you have copied the texture file, “RWAI_A10C_Weapons.bmp” into each individual texture folder for the A-10C model.
Problem: The canopy looks funny or the canopy is not reflective.
Fix: Make sure you have copied the texture file, “RWAI_canopy_clear.bmp” into each individual texture folder for the A-10C model.
Fix: Make sure you have checked the “Reflections” option from the FS9 Menu/Aircraft options menu.
Problem: I don’t see the new models in the Aircraft selection menu.
Fix: The aircraft have been set to not show up in the Aircraft selection menu as they are meant for AI use only. To make them visible in the selection menu, use AirEd to change the “Aircraft type=” entry from a “2” to a “0”.
If you do not wish to copy the new generic textures into each individual A-10 texture folder, you may instead place them into the Flight Simulator 9/Texture main folder. The models will pick the textures up from there. This will result in smaller aircraft folder sizes. However research among AI developers seems to indicate that this practice results in slower loading of aircraft textures and lower overall frame rate performance.
If you do not have aircraft reflections selected on, the canopies will not look right. It is recommended that you enable this feature if you plan to use the new C model variations.
All weapons loadouts are based on actual photographs. Some of the loadouts are asymmetrical but appear exactly as spotted on a real A-10C.
This model is only designed for use in FS9. However it may work just fine in FSX.
Thanks go out to Rysiek Winawer for allowing us to update his model by making his original design source files available for modification.
Additional thanks go out to Marco Kosterman for doing extensive research to verify the status of nearly every single active A-10 aircraft in the USAF inventory.
This package was built by the Military AI Works online community. If you are interested in making Military AI traffic more realistic, visit this site!
The contents of this package should not adversely affect your FS9 or computer operation if installed according to the instructions. The authors make no guarantee and bear no responsibility for adverse operation or lost/overwritten files on your computer.
Use of Contents:
THESE FILES MAY ONLY BE UPLOADED TO AVSIM or FLIGHTSIM.COM BY THE AUTHOR(s)
THESE FILES MAY NOT BE UPLOADED TO ANY OTHER SITE WITHOUT THE AUTHOR'S WRITTEN PERMISSION. THESE MODELS, REPAINTS AND FLIGHTPLANS ARE FREEWARE AND MAY NOT BE SOLD, OR PUT ON ANY SITE THAT CHARGES FOR DOWNLOADING FREE FILES. THE FILES FOUND IN THIS ARCHIVE MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED ON CD OR ANY MEDIUM FOR ANY KIND OF FEE, INCLUDING THE COST OF PRODUCTION, MATERIALS OR POSTAGE. THE MODELS, REPAINTS AND FLIGHTPLANS OWNERSHIP REMAIN WITH THE AUTHORS AS MENTIONED IN THE PACKAGE
Upload to FSPLANET.com will never be allowed by Military AI Works.
Any questions, suggestions and feedback on the contents may be directed to the forums at www.militaryaiworks.com.
All information used to create this package was obtained via online, open-source research. All flight plans and schedules, while reasonable for military units, are fictional.
Thanks to everyone who made this possible.